Social media pages and accounts are the “official voice” of your mobile app or game. The benefit is obvious – two-way communication, where you create a dialog in which the actions and opinions of each participant are considered. A fan page is a fully-fledged community where you set your own rules for communication. Located in the “natural habitat” of your users, it constantly reminds them of your app or game. And as you set the rules, the page can function in a way that is most useful to you. For example, it can take one of the following forms:
- News community: announcement of updates and their discussion, new features – in general, all new information regarding your product. Such communication is not always two-way – more important is the number of users who saw the message. Essentially, you should create such content even before the release, just to spark the users’ interest.
- Support community: publishing of guides, FAQ, and all kinds of technical assistance for users. In this case, a 100% dialog is obtained. If your app or game is popular, then the discussion can last 24/7. However, there is a downside: if your product is incomplete and has a lot of bugs and problems, then be prepared for tons of negative comments.
- Entertainment community: driving user engagement. It can be contests, giveaways, sales, promotions, polls, etc., the main task of which is to stimulate the user to take any action – to share, comment, like, vote, follow the link, etc. Excellent examples of such pages are product pages of companies Rovio, King, Supercell, and other major developers.
For example, on the Candy Crush Saga page, the developers remind users of the game every day by posting colorful pictures and interesting contests. Additionally, there is even a separate live talk show with company employees on YouTube who discuss the main issues that the players have and offer their solutions.
The page of Clash of Clans by Supercell is also worth mentioning: they post challenges, videos, jokes, and comics. Moreover, they have a comedy animation series called Clash-A-Rama on YouTube.
Mobile App / Game SMM Tips
For successful SMM of your mobile app or game, do the following:
- Run Facebook ads. Facebook App Install Ads are a perfect traffic source. In the ad account, you can form a suitable budget, set up super accurate and effective tagging, and add different calls to action. Even though it is quite expensive, you will be happy with the result.
- Launch Instagram ads. Instagram is probably the best option for the promotion of games because of the visual component. It is exactly what you need regarding the colorfulness, the variety of functions and options, the advantages of the characters, etc.
- Use sponsored Twitter posts. You can use Twitter to target foreign markets. Here you can run the App Installs campaign and tailor the ads to the interests of users. As Twitter is mainly used by mobile devices, it will attract good traffic.
- Start a giveaway. This method helps to get to the top. The terms are simple: people share your profile, talk about your product, and get prizes in return.
- Implement a referral program. Experiment first with friends and acquaintances. Invite them to share the app with their subscribers. With this purpose, you can make a discount on the app or share some internal game currency. Then you can use a similar method with your audience.
- Attract opinion leaders. Bloggers and influencers are also humans, they also play games and use apps. But thanks to their large audience, they have a significant impact on their followers. Agree on cooperation and buy advertising from a blogger whose audience is similar to yours.
Which Platform to Choose?
You may be already thinking about a social network that you should choose to advertise your app or game. The answer is simple: it depends on your target audience. Just take the demographic and behavioral data of users for different platforms and compare those with your marketing persona. Now let’s take a look at the most popular social media platforms and explore their pros and cons regarding the mobile game or app promotion.
Facebook ads appear in the feed of targeted users as Facebook posts marked as “Sponsored.” The following strategies use Facebook advertising as an online marketing tool:
- Buying clicks;
- Creating a page, building an audience, and stimulating the subscribers to go to the app;
- Running remarketing campaigns.
A perfect option is a combination of the first two methods: you need to create an app page on Facebook, fill it with interesting content, promote it among the target audience, collect a database for remarketing, work with it, and so on. It turns out to be a complex strategy, which will be expensive in terms of time and budget. However, at the same time, it will give you a much greater return.
It’s also possible to promote an app on Google Play via Facebook by doing the following:
- Integrating the Facebook SDK module. These are development tools that are required to target an existing audience.
- Forming deep links. This refers to links that redirect users who click banner ads. In this case, users are directed to a specific page in the store. This saves time for people who want to download your product because they do not have to search for the information they need on their own.
- Setting up a campaign, which includes: creating an advertising account, defining goals, generating ad groups, choosing a mobile device OS, selecting a detailed target audience, forming the targeting, specifying a budget, and a display schedule.
Within Facebook, the campaign is optimized during the first days after the launch. You can use Ads Manager to analyze the work results, audience, and placement. If Facebook advertising is effective, then an increase in the retention rate and user activity during the day (DAU) is guaranteed. Additionally, this tool helps to draw the users’ attention to the app.
Pros of Facebook:
- Access to a huge audience. Here you can reach out to those users who can hardly be reached through other types of advertising.
- Detailed targeting. Facebook knows a lot about its users, if not everything. And all this information is available to advertisers to customize the targeting of ads – gender, age, geography, language, interests, etc.
- Audience retention. In addition to receiving direct user transitions to the app, you can also work on increasing the number of subscribers to the app’s page. This will allow you to gradually reduce costs in the future and get returning customers.
- Organic distribution potential. If you launch a promo of a really interesting post from your page, the target audience can share it, attracting a huge amount of traffic to your app for free.
Cons of Facebook:
- Complex design of the advertising account.
- High cost of ads.
- Some metrics may be incorrectly reported.
The working principle of Instagram ads is similar to that of Facebook ads. The ad content appears either in the feed or in stories.
There are three ways to advertise your app on Instagram:
- Targeted advertising through the Facebook account
- Targeted advertising through the Instagram account
- Advertising through bloggers and influencers
Targeted advertising through the Facebook account: Pros
- Reaching the right target audience. You can use special Facebook algorithms to customize the targeting as precisely as possible.
- Fast, stable result. As you will be showing your ads only to those users who meet the specified criteria, they will be seeing your offers all the time. This guarantees a stable audience coverage, hence the result that you can see immediately after launch.
- Low cost of entry/testing. To launch targeted ads, you do not need impressive budgets. Of course, later you will need to make more serious investments. But in general, spending 2 times less money than with traditional methods of promotion, you will attract three times more targeted customers.
Targeted advertising through the Facebook account: Cons
- Being linked to the Facebook account. If you do not have a business page on Facebook, you will not be able to set up targeting on Instagram as accurately as possible. This can significantly reduce its profitability and feasibility.
- Complicated setup of an advertising account. If you are a beginner and do not want to spend extra money on setting up an advertising account, then you will have to sit down and delve into the details.
- Tough Facebook rules and imminent bans for their violation. Facebook is very strict about advertising. If the administration does not like something, they will immediately ban your advertising account and block the linked payment card. This is especially true for beginners.
Targeted advertising through the Instagram account: Pros
- You do not need to be an ad guru to set up ads here. In Instagram, everything is much simpler and clearer than in Facebook. Just select the post that you want to advertise, hit “Promote post”, define a few parameters, and the ad campaign will start.
- Fast ad launch. Again, due to simple settings, you can promote your app or game through the Instagram profile to test and gain experience in targeting.
Targeted advertising through the Instagram account: Cons
- Instagram settings are more primitive than the ones of Facebook. Therefore, you should not expect impressive results from such advertising.
- Waste of money. The main purpose of advertising on Instagram is sales. And as you do not know specifically in whose feed the ad will end up, you can only hope for the growth of sales.
Advertising through bloggers and influencers: Pros
- Trust. People are tired of ads in their feed or Instagram Stories. They have “advertising blindness”. On the contrary, bloggers can competently and unobtrusively deliver advertising content to an audience that will not doubt the recommendation.
- Simplicity. You do not need any technical knowledge to set up the ads and think about your content creatives. Just look for a blogger that your target audience follows.
Advertising through bloggers and influencers: Cons
- No guarantees. Of course, there is a human factor involved. Therefore, it is not always possible to predict the results of such an advertising campaign and guarantee its correct outcome. Additionally, some bloggers can have fake likes and subscribers. However, you can “insure” yourself against an unpleasant experience with the help of specialized platforms that offer influencer marketing services. These platforms vet all of their bloggers because they are interested in making your cooperation productive.
Twitter is a network that positions itself as working in real-time. Here people search for the latest news and events, which ensures the consistent use of this app. So, by advertising on Twitter, you position your product as new and relevant. If the users like it, then the viral spread, which is the most remarkable feature of Twitter, will become a pleasant bonus.
Twitter is trying to keep up with Facebook. The targeting settings are similar here, but the audience is smaller. Reviewers often claim that if they had to choose only one, then they would choose Facebook. Moreover, right now Twitter is going through some kind of “identity crisis”, abandoning its specifics and removing the message length limit. Of course, this should not be a problem for the advertiser, but if users lose trust in the network, then advertisers will lose their target audience.
Pros of Twitter:
- Instant spread of information. A tweet can often be retweeted several thousand times within an hour.
- High mobility of the audience. According to statistics, many users access Twitter through mobile apps. Therefore, it is a perfect platform to advertise mobile apps and games.
- High activity of the audience. Twitter users are one of the most active segments of the Internet audience. So, on average, the CTR of each link posted on Twitter is higher than similar indicators on other platforms.
- High generation of traffic. A user rarely has enough information that is published in a tweet, so they tend to follow the links that it contains. In other words, Twitter is some kind of navigation system. The task of the tweet itself is to give initial information, to interest, to indicate the main meaning, and in order to find out more, the user needs to follow the link. That’s why Twitter is one of the most massive traffic providers. Moreover, with the right approach to promotion, this traffic converts well into registrations, leads, and sales.
- Geo specification: One of Twitter’s features is geotagging, which allows marketers to place ads locally.
Cons of Twitter:
- Limited functionality: At the time of the IPO, Twitter had approximately 200 million unique users, less than one-fifth of Facebook and Google’s audience. This, of course, is also a significant figure, but it will be difficult for a company to achieve similar conversion rates in the short term.
- “Unknown” targeting: Thanks to Twitter, words like “tweet”, “hashtag” and “followers” have become common among many users. However, it doesn’t mean that most advertisers understand and can track which hashtag or group of followers led to a particular purchase.
- Uniqueness of ads: The bulk of Twitter ads are in the form of tweets. Creation of interesting, engaging tweets is challenging and requires extraordinary creativity from the marketer.
Over to You
Social media are a rich source of traffic that you can attract only by regular posts. However, it’s important to choose the right platform and adjust your posts and campaigns to the target audience. We hope that our article has given you a clearer picture of what you want to achieve with the promotion in social media. Good luck!