Increase user acquisition and you will increase monetization. Easier said than done. So how do you increase user acquisition? Perhaps you’ve tried mobile advertising (but realised that cost per installs are more expensive than you hoped for).
Perhaps you have tried cold out reaches and have sent too many emails that you can count. You’ve tried social media but your posts get lost amongst the clutter. You dream that in the ideal world your app will become an overnight success via word of mouth.Dreams can come true as word of mouth is still the most effective form of marketing after all. It’s free and in return you get quality users. With popular chat apps such as We Chat and Whatsapp on the rise more than ever, now is the time to take full advantage. Did you know that 88% of users prefer to invite friends via popular chat apps over Facebook? App invites are crucial to make your app a success.
In simple terms, App Invites enable you as an app developer to grow your app’s audience by letting your existing users invite their contact/friends. App invites also enable you to deep link new users to custom experiences, and tap into your users’ social graph as a source to drive referrals.
Google App Invites
Earlier this year Google announced App Invites, which is currently in Beta. Google App Invites is available on both Android and iOS and here’s what’s in the beta toolkit:
- Use app invites for expanded reach: Tap into SMS and email invites via your user’s phone and Google contacts.
- Make it easy for your users to send invites. App Invite system recommends their closest contacts to share your app with, and suggest a preferred method of delivery.
- Send actionable invite cards: Include an install button right in an email invite.
- Faster Android install flows: Your new Android users can click App Invite and download your app straight from the Play Store, bypassing the browser windows that usually open in between.
- Create personalized onboarding flows: New users can get deep linked into a specific onboarding experience – for example, you can offer custom discount codes or content.
- Measure app invites using Google Analytics custom reports.
Checkout the video here:
How is it different to Facebook App invites?
Facebook also revealed its own ‘App Invites’ system at F8 earlier this year. It also lets users share personalized messages by adding things like user-generated photos or screenshots. However, these invites are limited to Facebook’s own social graph and can’t be sent by SMS or email.
Which one should you implement?
Both, since they are complementary to each other. As Facebook app invites are limited to only Facebook and Google App invites enables invites via SMS and Email.
What about Twitter, Whatsapp, Kik, Kakao, Line and other well known networks?
User’s social graph extends beyond Facebook, Email and SMS as messaging apps grow in popularity. Today WhatsApp garners over 900 million monthly active users followed by facebook messenger at 700 million and WeChat at 600 million each. So tapping into such networks is of paramount importance for mobile app developers.
GetSocial Smart Invites incorporating App Invites and beyond
GetSocial’s Smart Invites are fully automated, customizable and easy to run in-app referral system to boost your app installs and engagement. Smart Invites incorporate the benefits of App Invites (including deep linking, custom user onboarding, attribution tracking and more) and also encourage users to invite their friends via a large variety of popular invite providers like Whatsapp, Kik, Kakao, Line, Twitter etc besides Facebook, SMS and Email. And just like Facebook and Google’s App Invites, GetSocial’s Smart Invites are completely FREE.